Inspired by my close friend’s horrible past few days, lets talk about the FLU!
Now, full disclosure, I’m lucky that I’ve only had the flu once, about 10 years ago. I remember noticing that my toes were hurting. My toes. Never have I experienced a sickness so acute that I can simply list individual body parts and their particular, agonizing, discomfort.
If you talk to my brother (who gets a flu shot every year) he’ll say that the best flu remedy is to not get the flu. He’s also only had the flu once (like me). And, I’m not laughing when I say this (I swear…:), he found the experience so utterly horrifying, he vowed to never go through it again.
So what’s in a cure? Some people feel that over-the-counter medications and/or a visit to the doctor are the best ways to get relief. Others are staunchly on the homeopathic side. Below are some common and some not-so-common natural remedies for the flu. I’ll leave it up to you to decide what works best for you and your family.
8 Natural Remedies for Colds & Flu
- 1) This first item is more of a suggestion to keep yourself from getting sick again rather than a remedy but I think it’s a really good tip. Put your toothbrush in a cup with hydrogen peroxide in it to prevent you from re-infecting yourself (especially if you have a cold). Toothbrushes are a haven for germs and the hydrogen peroxide will kill the bacteria on your toothbrush. You may decide to put your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide every day to kill the bacteria that accumulate.
- 2) In addition to putting your toothbrush in a cup of hydrogen peroxide you may want to put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ears. It can help kill flu (or cold) germs. Sometimes the hydrogen peroxide will sting a little. The process is to put a few drops in one ear with a cotton ball or a Q-tip. After a few minutes drain the excess fluid out onto a Kleenex or paper towel. Then do the same thing in the other ear. Repeat the process after an hour or two. Continue to repeat until the hydrogen peroxide doesn’t bubble when it’s put into the ear (usually after 2 or 3 times). The hydrogen peroxide is said to be most effective if it’s used as soon as possible after getting sick.
- 3) Elderberry extract can lessen the duration of the flu according to studies done in Israel. Not the berry itself, it must be the extract.
- 4) Boneset is another herb. It helps lessen the intensity and duration of the flu. It is usually added to boiled water, along with honey and lemon (to make it easier to drink) and then sipped.
- 5) Oscillococcinum is a popular homeopathic/natural product taken to help with the flu symptoms of body aches and pains, fever, and chills.
- 6) Echinacea. Along with elderberry extract and zinc it was named as one of the Top 3 supplements for Cold and Flu by the Dr. Oz Show.
- 7) Essential Oils are a big help for airborne illnesses and their cooties.Weber State University found that diffusing Young Living’s Thieves essential oil kills 99% of airborne bacteria in 12 minutes. Personally, when I feel a weird “off” sensation beginning, such as a sore throat, sneezing, or aching…I immediately begin applying Thieves EO to the soles of my feet, 2-3 drops of every couple of hours. This has saved me from at least two cold/flu illnesses, just over the past 4 months!
- 8) Drink health juices (non-pasteurized, if you can) such as mangosteen, noni, goji, aloe vera, acai berry, or (and this is the biggie) — non-pasteurized orange juice. Trader Joe’s has a great variety, but sadly, TJ’s isn’t anywhere near where I live. I have no idea what pasteurization does, but I have noticed (and the results have been proven out by my friends) that non-pasteurized o.J. can ward off just about anything. I drink a 1/2 gallon over 24-36 hours. It seems to work as great as Thieves oil. Pasteurized OJ, the kind that you can pick up in any grocery store, DOES NOT have the same results.
So, good luck, and I hope your week is much better than sweet Raina’s!